Destination B2 Grammar and Vocabulary with answer will be very helpful for those who want to improve their vocabulary and other grammar structures. So, let’s learn unit 20: Weather and the environment
Weather and the environment
Topic vocabulary in contrast
|urban / suburban / rural||clean /clear||thunder/ lightning|
|smog / fog / smoke / mist||pour / drizzle / flood||global / worldwide|
|weather/ climate||environment / surroundings||plain / land / field / desert|
|forecast / prediction||wind / air||extinct / endangered|
|waste / litter / rubbish||reservoir / lake / puddle / pond||recycle / reuse|
|call for require; need; demand||get (sb) down make sb feel sad or lose hope|
|call off cancel||put down to suggest that sth is the result of|
|dear up become brighter and better (for weather)||put out make something stop burning|
|cut off make a place difficult or impossible to enter, leave or communicate with; disconnect||set in start and be likely to continue for a while (for rain, winter, an economic depression, etc)|
|die down become less noisy, powerful or active||stand for represent (for abbreviations and symbols); put up with|
|do up repair, paint or improve||tear down destroy or remove (for buildings, statues, etc)|
|face up to accept sth and try to deal with it||throw away get rid of, discard|
Phrases and collocations
|control||lose/take/have control (of sth); in control; out of control|
|effect||have an effect (on sth/sb);take effect|
|end||in the end; at the end (of sth); come to an end; come to/reach the end (of sth); happy ending|
|floor||on the floor; on the ground/first/second/etc floor|
|fuss||make/cause a fuss (about sth/doing)|
|long||(for) as long as; (for) a long time;take a long time (to do); long to do; long for sth (to do)|
|look||have/take a look at sth/sb; look like sth/sb; look at/for sth/sb|
|mess||make a mess (of sth);in a mess|
|responsibility||have/take (the) responsibility for sth/doing|
|shower||take/have a shower;a rain shower;a light/heavy shower of rain|
|sight||catch/lose sight of sth/sb; in sight of sth; at first sight|
|waste||a waste of time;waste your time;industrial/household waste|
|weather||weather forecast; under the weather|
|world||all over the world; around the world; throughout the world; the whole world; in the world; world record|
|aware of sth; aware that||expect sth/sb (to do); expect that||hard to do; hard doing|
|covered in/with sth||familiar with sth; familiar to sb||prevent sth; prevent sb from doing; prevent sth from happening|
|disappointed with/by sth; in sb||famous for sth/doing||short of sth; short on sth|
|except (for) sth/doing||glance at sth/sb||warn sb about/against sth/doing;warn sb of sth; warn sb not to do; warn (sb) that|
|accurate accurately, inaccurate(ly), (in)accuracy||globe global(ly)||nature (un)natural(ly)|
|danger dangerous(ly); endanger; endangered||great greatly, greatness||neighbour neighbourly, neighbouring, neighbourhood|
|develop (un)developed, developing, developer, development||harm harmful(ly), harmless(ly), (ùn)harmed||pollute (un)polluted, pollution, pollutant|
|environment environmental(ly), environmentalist||likely unlikely, likelihood||reside residential, resident, residence|
|extreme extremely, extremity, extremist||low lower, lowness||sun sunny,sunshine|
|I freeze froze, frozen, freezing, freezer|
Here are some exercises on weather and the environment
A Write one word in each gap.
- Don’t throw those batteries …………………… They’re not biodegradable!
- Rainy days always………………….
- Could you tell me what the letters ‘CJD’ stand………………………. ?
- They’re planning to tear…………………… the old cinema and build a new shopping centre onthe land.
- I think the rains set……………….. for the day, don’t you?
- Some scientists put the extinction of the dinosaurs down………………………. changes in theworld’s climate.
B Circle the correct word.
- The days of Athens being one of the most polluted cities in the world have come/gone to an end.
- Their office is at / on the fifteenth floor.
- The government’s made / done a complete mess of its environmental policy.
- It’s so hot, I think l’m going to do / have a cold shower to cool down.
- As usual,so-called nature lovers are making / taking a fuss about nothing.
- I can’t believe there’s anyone in the complete / whole world who wants the hole in the ozone layer to get any bigger.
- It looks like / as a large number of species will become extinct over the next decade.
- You used to believe there really was a pot of gold at/in the end of every rainbow,didn’t you?
1 away/out 2 get/bring 3 for
4 down 5 in 6 to
1 come 2 on 3 made 4 have
5 making 6 whole 7 like 8 at