WORD REVIEW # 6
Lessons 26-30 Management Issues
Choose the word that best completes the sentence.
1. The owner of the new company personally ___________every expense.
2. Several employees will __________on designing the office for efficiency.
3. When there is a problem with company policy, it should be _________before the board of directors.
(A) bring up
(B) bring in
(C) brought up
(D) brought in
4. The quality control department felt it was making good __________ when the number of detects declined.
5. ___________goods can ruin the future of a new company.
6. The public’s __________ of a company depends on how solidly the company stands behind its products.
7. The market research matched our ____________.
8. Determining the safeness of a particular appliance requires a ___________investigation of the electrical components.
9. When ______________office space, it is wise to insist upon an option to renew.
10. _____________a lease might be expensive.
(A) Getting in
(B) Getting on
(C) Getting off of
(D) Getting out of
Choose the one word or phrase that best completes each sentence.
Subject: board meeting
We all missed you at yesterday’s meeting, but you will be happy to know it went well. We were able to adhere (11. ________) the agenda and cover all topics in the allotted time. Wilbur gave a (12. ________) explanation of the budget, and now I feel we all understand it quite thoroughly. He plans to e-mail you a copy of his notes. The meeting (13. ________) on time, at 5:00. The next meeting is scheduled for June 16.
(A) had concluded
(B) has concluded
Our job here in the Quality Control Department is to make sure that no garment leaves the factory in less than perfect condition. This means that each garment (14. ________) carefully by a trained garment inspector. We throw out all (15. ________) garments. It is important to protect our (16. ________) and make sure that the name of our company is always associated with top-quality Products.
(B) is inspected
(C) is inspecting
(D) has inspected
Dear Mr. Wilcox,
Your lease for the office you (17. ________) at 121 North Main Street will expire next month. I will be very happy to have you renew the lease if you desire. You have occupied that space for a (18. ________) and during those ten years you have always been a reliable tenant. Unfortunately, (19. ________) to rising costs everywhere, I will have to raise the rent on that space by 20 percent. I hope this won’t cause you any hardship. Please let me know if you are still interested in renewing the lease, and I will have my assistant send one over to you.