WORD REVIEW # 7
Lessons 30-35 Restaurants and Events
Choose the word that best completes the sentence.
1. The aroma coming from the restaurant was so ________that the tourists did not hesitate before entering.
2. Because the menu was not in his native language, the visitor asked the waiter for _______.
3. The waiter __________that the customer would enjoy the duck.
4. Food critics are also expected to ________a restaurant’s service and atmosphere.
5. The host usually __________the check for his guest.
(A) picks over
(B) picks on
(C) picks off
(D) picks up
6. Sometimes diners request ____________, or “separate,” checks.
7. The most ____________customers seem to be the worst tippers.
8. Food preparation is not just frying hamburgers; it is a respected ___________.
9. An event planner must _______the entire affair, not just choose the menu.
10. The planner must also ensure that participants observe all local ______.
Choose the one word or phrase that best completes each sentence.
To: Robert Hughes
From: Betsy Wyman
Subject: re: places to eat
l got your message asking for ideas about places to take your clients to dinner. I have a great (11. ________) for you. The Waterfall Room is a fantastic restaurant that just opened on Maple Avenue. The atmosphere is pleasant and the food is very good. If you (12. ________) before 6:30, you can get the dinner special—a complete three-course meal including a glass of wine—for only $30. It’s a great deal. I really think this is the best place in town to enjoy an (13. ________) meal at a reasonable price. Let me know how you like it.
To: Sue Evans
From: Ron Smith
Subject: lunch tomorrow
George will be out of the office all week, so it will (14. _______) you to order the lunch for tomorrow’s staff meeting. We always order from Sam’s Deli. We’ll need enough for (15. _______) people. Look at their list of sandwiches and order three or four different kinds. (16. _______) to order a variety of desserts, too. People always like a sweet treat with their meal. Please make sure that the food 16 by noon tomorrow. Thanks.
(A) pick up
(B) fall to
(C) rely on
(D) mix up
(A) No forget
(B) Not forget
(C) No forgetting
(D) Don’t forget
(B) is delivered
(C) is delivering
(D) will deliver
Do you have what it takes to become a professional chef? The first requirement, of course, is an interest in the (17. _________) arts. There is no point in becoming a chef if you don’t love fine food. You will also need to be willing to work long hours because this is a very (18. _________) profession. In addition, you will need leadership qualities. A working chef has (19. _________) the work of everyone in the kitchen.
(A) to coordinate