WORD REVIEW # 9
Lessons 41-45 Entertainment
Choose the word that best completes the sentence.
1. Movies are probably the most popular form of _________in the United States.
2. Television has seriously _________society.
3. Actors can spend too much time _________as well as too little.
4. Even when a show is _________, it is sometimes possible to get in.
(A) sell out
(B) sell on
(C) sold off
(D) sold out
5. Orchestra music is wonderfully conducive to _________.
6. There is no good or bad music, only that which does or does not appeal to your _________.
7. New _________are one of the most exciting aspects of museum work.
8. Sometimes I look at a famous painting and wonder why it is considered more _________than the ones on either side of it.
9. The Internet _________information faster than any other medium.
10. In any news medium, the only news is what the editor _________is news.
Choose the one word or phrase that best completes each sentence.
Because of DVD players and cable TV, it is no longer necessary to leave home in search of (11. _______) Families can watch movies in the comfort of their own living rooms. Nevertheless, going out to the movies is still a popular way to spend a weekend evening. Many people enjoy going to movie theaters because they like to see new movies as soon as they (12. _______) They may also (13. _______) to spend an evening out in public rather than quietly at home.
(C) are released
(D) will be released
lf you are looking for an activity that the whole family can enjoy, consider visiting One of our city’s fine museums. It is the perfect way to (14. _______) fun with education. Depending on your family’s interests, you might (15. _______) to visit a science, history, or art museum. If your children are older, they will want to visit exhibits that particularly interest them and take the time to give each one a (16. _______) look. Younger children have a shorter attention span. Museums with Interactive exhibits are best for them.
The new play, Sunflower Sunset, opened at the Westwood Playhouse last night. A lot of effort went into this production. The actors (17. ________) for months, and an elaborate set was constructed. Unfortunately, this effort could not save the dull dialogue. It was easy to see that the (18. ________) was bored—snoring was heard throughout the theater, and many people left before the end of the play. The actors made a fine effort with their (19. ________) . but the best acting in the world cannot save a poorly written play.
(C) will rehearse
(D) are rehearsing